Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What "wintering" on a farm brings...



Hi everyone!

I'm happy to report that I have found a house. It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom bungalow in the town of Thrapston. Some of you may recall my desire to stay at the Nene Valley Cottages when I was looking for temporary lodging. They wouldn't allow Sydney to stay there...but this town is about 2 miles from those cottages. A wonderful location for work and sight seeing! It's a brand new place but they've not got the access quite right. I've made an agreement with the owner that I'll pay for modifications up front but he'll pay me back if I'm in the place more than 18 months. It seems fair...and frankly for him, we're bringing the place into compliance with UK law regarding new builds. It's a win-win situation. I just need patience regarding timing and all. Here is what they are doing (it's a major list...) Widening the front door and making the threshold flat. Right now there is a lot of wasted space around the door frame. They're also widening the door from the kitchen to the garden and building a ramp to it so I can get in and out via a second exit. They're leveling the french doorway from the lounge (living room) to the conservatory (sun room). Right now they've (and every set of french patio-type doors here seems to have them) got what I call "knee knocker" doors. If you've ever been on a navy ship, you'll know what I mean. It's not just a step up or down to the next room but a step "up and over." They are also widening all interior doors. (I fit through them now barely...I'd scrape all the paint off the doors and that would get old). The garden gate is about 12 inches wide! There was no way I could use that door. The agent I've been working with has been terrific! He thought up making the gate doors set on an angle so we could work a wider doorway. And right now along the pathway there are only 16-18 inch concrete steps. They're going to double those from the gate to the kitchen doorway and on around the back garden. UPDATE: I just found out that we (owner on my behalf) could be eligible for grants to make these modifications. That would be much cheaper for both of us!!! Pray, please.

On another front...


We've been visited by a family of farm/field mice. I wouldn't particularly care that they are here if they'd stay away from me. However, their desire to become closer friends is what has put me off. I'm finding that mice are prolific on a farm. As you may recall, the owners here were a little concerned about Sydney coming and bothering the "working cats." Well, I'm not convinced Sydney's even noticed them. BUT, they've definitely noticed her and I fear she may be keeping the cats from working near my cottage. After having one mouse crawl out of the garbage bag I was taking out and onto my lap, leg, foot, then floor; one scurrying mouse get caught under my wheelchair, and one running into the guest bathroom when I opened the hallway door, I've decided to take the bull by the horns. Okay, I called the owner. In my defense, she picked up one full trap but was weirded out by a second and had to call her husband for reinforcement. The mousetrap he gathered up was near a hole. The little guy must have been snapped but not immediately killed as he was still able to reach the opening of a hole.

Yes, and it only gets worse. The owners laid two empty traps under the counters and then went back to their home. Minutes later, we heard a "snap!" Then for nearly 10 minutes we heard the poor thing scurring around under there. It was horrific! I gave them my introduction speech when I first met them..."Stay in your territory and not invade mine, you're good. But come to me, I'll have to 'take dominion' over you." Sigh. I have had horror dreams that a trapped mouse was able to "thump thump drag" himself to my bedroom to get me. Needless to say, I slept (??) with one eye open last night. Regardless, I still feel like a mouse murderer.

Just thought you might want to know how much fun I'm having!

4 comments:

  1. Do they have glue traps there? We have used those in our garage with much less fanfare than the snaptraps...just a thought. Glad to hear you are getting settled and found a permanent place. Praying your furry mouse friends will leave. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Almost Christmas, Christie!
    This is a very funny predicament...I was laughing as I read it. The poor mice! And the poor YOU! (: Thanks for blogging. Miss you!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuk! Maybe you need to teach Sydney to be a "mouser". She might get to a bolder dog! :) BTW: London spent the other night throwing up and have lots of diarreah. Something clearly didnt' agree with her tummy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie,

    Blog away! LUBB IT! Thanks for keeping us up on the stuff!

    I hope you are adjusting to working again. I hope that you have found a church and a family of believers! I love Holy Trinity Brompton, in Knightsbridge, London. . . but I don't even know where you are! London or the countryside somewhere?

    I'm still unemployed. It has been 15 months now. I have enjoyed it, but I need to find a job in Jan or Feb to keep afloat and out of debt! I'm trusting God to provide in his timing!

    Hope all is well. . . can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete