Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Help!

Hi all,

I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed at work. What was I thinking? Can I jump back into this work? I read and read and read and read some more today. I'm not sure I'm absorbing everything! Whoa!

Sorry, that was my little panic attack. I am wiped out at work. There is so much to learn and I'm definitely drinking from a fire hose. Of course it doesn't help that just when I started this job the world seemed to catch on fire. I'm putting in some overtime as they are expecting so much from me. The folks have been wonderful and are giving me breathing space to learn but I know what's at stake...I need your prayers. I can do this, right? Come on Christie! I could sure use some encouragement about now (that was a hint...emails accepted anytime).

My house is coming along. They redid the floors today so I no longer have stretched, lumpy linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom. My interior doors are all finished. The exterior doors/ramps will be put in, beginning on the 28th. I do fine in the entry door (it's tight but workable). I got a freezer yesterday. It's huge! Well, compared to my refrigerator, it's huge. It's about as big as a dorm fridge...actually, so is my FRIDGE! The freezer will go in the garage once the kitchen door and garage door are finished.

When I say garage, let me disabuse you of the notion that a car will ever be parked in there. British garages are not meant for cars...well, maybe matchbox cars, or a smart car, but really! Actually, my neighbor parks his Toyota in his garage...I watched him get out of the car, tuck in the side mirrors, then back in. I don't know how he gets out of the car once inside; he must be an excellent shimmy-er. Mine will be a great storage space, however. I've already got a plastic "wardrobe" set up in there for my summer clothes and other stuff. That'll keep the freezer company.

I'm also happy to report that I'm getting a tumble dryer. My house came only with a washer. It's very odd and is in my kitchen. I've learned some new and very useful skills. Did you know that until I moved here, I'd never hung clothes out on a line before. It's not terribly difficult but all my things come out "crispy." I don't remember the crispy-ness and the commercials of "fresh linen" never mention that. My towels are especially uncomfortable. I'll be in dream land when the dryer arrives. Fabric softener will be my friend! I think the dryer should arrive tomorrow or soon thereafter.

Sydney is loving it here. I'm not sure if it's the cool air (freezing, that is), the new smells or what. She was very unsettled for a while after moving so many times in so many months. She's laying here dreaming as I type. I love this dog! She is definitely the hit of the office. Everyone loves her. They have a policy that they can all bring in their dogs on Fridays. Isn't that cool? Sydney will be in heaven. Of course she is now as all the guys are just entranced by her.

I've got no pictures right now. Something has gone awry with my camera. I'll work on fixing that over the weekend and hope it can be "sorted out" soon. I have photos from my pottery shopping this past Saturday with my cousin Rhonda. You may not be aware but much like the majority of our manufacturing, the famous pottery factories (Royal Doulton, Port Merion, Spode, etc.) are sending their work to China. I wanted to get a tea set from a company that still manufactures it here! I went to several factories this weekend. I fell in love with a pattern (and factory) called Burleigh. I went to their seconds shop and got a set whose pattern was designed for "Laura Ashley." I love it. Now I've really got to take up tea drinking! Anyway, I'll send pictures from our adventures as soon as I can fix the camera. Also, as soon as the house is finished and not a construction zone, I'll take and send pictures of this lovely little place. Did I mention it was little? As a matter of fact, I can plug my vacuum into the hall outlet and vacuum the entire house without ever changing where the plug goes. Isn't that awesome? I really do love it!

As you can read, I am truly on my way to settling in here. I spent yesterday (Martin Luther King Day) walking (rolling) around the village I live in registering for a general practitioner (doctor's office) with the British National Health System (it's free, even for me!), going to a bakery, visiting a charity shop, a mobility shop and attempting to go to a veterinarian. The veterinarian had two steps in and the mobility shop (they sell wheelchairs, scooters, canes, walkers, and the like) didn't have what I needed. I then went to a "home depot" type store (I broke one of the arms on Sydney's crate) trying to find a work around. I think I've got an idea but need some tools (or more preferably, someone WITH tools.) Where is "Todd the Marine" when I need him??? Gayle, any ideas?

I'm exhausted right now but all is going really well (save the minor panic about my brain having shrunk a lot)...my Dad said that it just needs to be stretched a bit as the only thing I've had to analyze over the past few years was the outcome of "Pride and Prejudice." He's a funny guy but he's right...

More soon (with pics I hope)

Cheers from the UK

~Christie

7 comments:

  1. OOOOh Christie,

    I know it's been forever since I've talked to you, but I had to comment on this. Since 'me mum's' from there and all, and I've done living there for a while too, I so sympathize with you moving there. Also if Mike (my hubby) could he might sign us all up and send us packing over there too!

    A little encouragement: of COURSE you can do this. You will catch up, and you will be excellent at what you do. That's a given. :) The dryer will change your life. ;) Get an electric tea kettle. This too will revolutionize your home. Also a hot-water bottle (available at Boot's) will keep everything so much warmer at night. And eat a flake candy bar for me, and a sausage roll. oooo, two sausage rolls. yum.

    I'll be praying for you (and living vicariously through this blog!). . .
    Shannon (Murphy) Knotts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Friend, Thank you for the link to your blog. I look forward to keeping up with your wonderful adventures. I can't imagine all the transitions you are going through right now or trying to understand and store all that information. But what I can do is pray for you, that God would in His abundant kindness, bless the fruit of your labor. This job has been something that you/we have prayed for, and now it has come to fruition. God provided this job and He can and will equip you with the grace needed for the trials that come with it. I admire you so much Christie...for not wasting your suffering and for your love for the Lord. May He bless you beyond measure. Love and Hugs from Seguin, Texas - Amanda Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear you're enjoying your new digs. Praying the construction will be done soon. I remember visiting Tom in Scotland and having the washer in the kitchen too. There was a dryer as well, but it seems to me I ended up having to hang clothes up around the cottage just to get it all dry. It rained so much I didn't even think of hanging them outside. I saw your comment about Pride & Prejudice and have to ask if you've seen "Lost in Austen". If you haven't, you should. Any P&P fan should love it. Thanks for sharing your needs; I remember always loving that about you! Your transparency always enabled me to know how to pray for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...we are reading and enjoying your journeys!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christie!! I am praying for you =) God is Faithful and He is right there with you!! Eat healthy so you feel good and have energy. I wish i was close to you give you a Hug right now. You are a big encouragement to me!! Keep up the Hard work Friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so interesting about the pottery! Can't wait to see more pictures. Take care, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great reading up on your goings on! I'm so so happy that things are going so well for you and that Sydney is loving her new home! I can't wait to see pictures. We miss you here!

    I will keep sending up prayers and look forward to reading your next post!

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete